blue patches

About Me

My photo
I graduated byui in april and four months later found myself teaching high school art, in Saipan of all places. This blog started out as a explination about trying to get into graduate school but ended up being about my life in Saipan.Now that I moved back home to prepare for a mission my blog has progressed to life in California.

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

When I miss the island....

...I think about things I hate about Saipan (in no particular order).

number one hate: 5 gallon water jugs


you cant cook, drink, or even brush your teeth (some did but not me)in the water. You have to hall five gallon water jugs up three flights of stairs to have "real water". I do not miss that!

number two hate: my small apartment


my apartment was a box! I loved it when I was there but being in a real home and seeing friends huge California apartments makes me wonder how did I live in that box?

number three hate: the "cheese fries"


When I eat out late at night here in California I often order cheese fries. I tried to do that in Saipan. They looked at me like I was crazy and brought me their rendition of cheese fries. One slice of not melted cheese on top soggy fries.

number four hate: loud supporters


When I first go to the island it was election time. I am sorry I did not ever vote there, not because I have an opinion just because I wanted to experience everything island. Anyway months before the polls open there are wavers on major streets supporting their candidate. I lived off Beach, the main front of the island road. The supporters would keep me up. The worst of all the days was when I got a migraine. I remember I cussed all the way up the stairs I was so pissed they were there.

number five hate: construction "code" following


This is a crappy picture of my sprained ankle. It happened on the steps of the Benson's Papago House. The stairs there are all different heights (like they are most places in Saipan) I am sure there are laws or codes to follow but Saipan construction workers build by the beat of their own off beat drum.

DISCLAIMER: It may sound like I am a huge pessimist that hates Saipan. I want you to know that I loved it there. I would do it ten times again. It is a wonderful place to live, but thinking negatively about Saipan helps me stay positive about where I am now. In fact I would never has said any thing this negative when I was there. I love Saipan. Notice I said nothing about my job or students that is because I love them so much I can't bare talk ill of them. of all the things I miss about Saipan I miss teaching the most! I think once I get my mission call I can move on from my past life and look ahead to the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers